Monday, January 12, 2015

Blog #1 - 10 Favorite Images

My Top Ten Favorite Images from Film and Television

As a lover of cinema, there are numerable films and television shows that I deeply enjoy. However, since I am only allowed to post ten of them, I believe I have chosen well. It was difficult, but here are my top ten images from film and television. NOTE: Some of these image description may contain light spoilers, so read at your own will.

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

This image shows us the main protagonist, Alex (center), along with two of his "droogs," Dim (left) and Georgie (right), leaving The Korova Milk Bar, an establishment, full of all different types of people, which sells milk laced with a variety of drugs. My favorite film from director Stanley Kubrick, I enjoy this image as it introduces the viewer to this dystopian London, where everyone's hair is a different color, style is warped, but stuck, in the 1960s, and gangs are rampant throughout England, preparing them for a bit of the old ultra-violence.


Back to the Future (1985)

This scene occurs just after Dr. Emmett Brown's first successful test of his flux capacitor, which makes time travel possible, inside a DeLorean, alongside his assistant and partner Marty McFly. I chose this image as it shows the shock-and-awe faces of the protagonists, having just nearly been killed by the DeLorean, the perfect positioning of the camera to show the flames ignite between the protagonist's feet, and it shows the beginning of what becomes a nail-biting and adventurous chain of events that spans 130 years.

Doctor Who (1963-89, 96, 2005-present)

This BBC series follows a regenerating Time-Lord from the planet Gallifrey and his companions on adventures throughout time and space, possible due to his TARDIS. While I have not been a fan but for four years now, it immediately grew on me and I been one ever since. I chose this closing image from the 50th anniversary special "The Day of the Doctor" as it shows the first twelve Doctors of the series together for the first time, positioned against the starry universe which has been his home for almost two thousand years, surrounded by a mist of obscurity of where the Doctor may go next.

Game of Thrones (2011-present)

This HBO fantasy drama, based on the books by George R. R. Martin, set where the seasons are unpredictable and can last for decades, follows the families of the land of Westeros as they battle, ally, and betray one another in an attempt to sit the Iron Throne. This image takes place during the premiere episode and shows Eddard Stark, the King in the North, moments before executing a deserter of The Wall. I like how the image shows the rolling beautiful hills of The North, while showing the somber King, reflecting what he does not want to do, but must.

Gangs of New York (2002)

Occurring mid-way through the film, this scene features the battle scarred New York gangster William "Bill the Butcher" Cutting as he confides to his new apprentice Amsterdam Vallon, telling him of his enemy "Priest" Vallon, their relationship, and his death, not knowing that Amsterdam is the priest's son, come seeking revenge. I chose this image from one of my favorite Martin Scorsese directed films due to its simple setting of a wounded Bill in a chair, as it symbolically shows who Bill is; a wounded man, a "true" American, with a long and violent past, now showing empathy and companionship toward someone for the first and only time in the film.

Harry Potter series (2001-2011)

As my second favorite franchise, the Harry Potter series is one filled with many beautiful and powerful images; this image, however, stuck out to me out of all eight films. Taking place near the end of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry lies wounded and defeated after attempting to fight the traitorous Severus Snape. I always found this image haunting, with a darkened Hogwarts and stormy sky, as is the moment; Harry's mentor was just murdered, a teacher betrayed the school, and Harry is helpless to do anything. It just shows the bleakness and soberness in the moment, and I found it very visually appealing.

Interstellar (2014)

This image takes place around the beginning-middle of the film showing us a both happy and emotionally crushed Cooper watching videos of his children, still on Earth, grow and become parents before his eyes after a miscalculation and an incident on a gravitationally dilated planet left him stranded for 23 Earth-years. This film is full of gorgeous, awe-inspiring images, but I decided to choose this one for its simplicity, yet powerful emotion, as it is one of the most emotional scenes in the film. It's just something that no one has experienced, but would be devastating to most if it did, and Cooper's face says it all.

The Lord of the Rings (2001-03)

This image shows the wizard Gandalf, along with the hobbit Pippin, riding to the city of Minas Tirith after Pippin gazed into the eye of the Dark Lord Sauron through a palantir, causing Sauron to believe Pippin has the One Ring and to reveal to Gandalf that he intends to attack the city. My favorite film franchise, this trilogy is known for its sweeping views of wide valleys and towering mountainsides. This image from The Return of the King is one of my favorite scenic views within the film, showing the rolling hills of Gondor and the heavenly light shining upon the very detailed Minas Tirith, a bright white city, soon to be shrouded in darkness, told by the dark approaching clouds.

Star Wars saga (1977-83, 99-2005, 2015-present)

This image depicts the young Jedi-in training Luke Skywalker facing against the Sith Lord Darth Vadar on the gas mining colony of Cloud City on the planet Bespin after Luke sensed his friends were in danger. I love this image from The Empire Strikes Back as it is the two character's first confrontation, having been enemies for almost two films, the mist and lights shining from below create a dark, but colorful setting with each lightsaber's glow, embodying the essence of good and evil.

Titanic (1997)

This image shows lovers, Jack and Rose, aboard the bow of the ill-fated ship RMS Titanic as it sails to its last sun set, but at the same time transitioning to the present day, showing the bow down at the bottom of the North Atlantic. I'm not much one for romance films, but if there is one that I love, it's James Cameron's Titanic, and this image is a favorite of mine, it is bittersweet in that it shows the two teenagers accept their love for one another, embracing, while simultaneously showing the fading of time, watching the ship rust away, viewers knowing full well what happened to the ship. It shows both past and present, with light shining for both the sunset in the past and a submarine in the present, which was a nice touch, and the eternal blue of the ocean, which I felt symbolized their eternal love. 

8 comments:

  1. Interstellar is one of my favorite movies of 2014. The special effects used for the black hole scene blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord of the Rings series is one of my favorites as well. The cinematography in it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Interstellar and agree with you on the picture you chose because that part made me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lighting in both the Lord of The Rings and Star Wars shots you shared. I can't wait for the new Star Wars movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the image you chose for the Harry Potter series. It definitely is visually stunning, and does a great job of capturing the moment, like you said. Also, Doctor Who is awesome! I haven't seen the old series, but I'm a huge fan of the new ones. Maybe I'm weird, but I always thought the Daleks were kind of cute, even though they want to exterminate everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you incorporated "Game of Thrones" and "Gangs of New York" both are some of my favorite movies/TV series of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see that you have a very specific style that you relate to. I think you did an awesome job capturing the cinematography of each movie with the images you chose. Each has a flair for the dramatic with strong lighting and gripping scenery and emotionally charged images. I especially loved the image you chose for Harry Potter. The lighting is so powerful and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LORD OF THE RINGS. My favorite trilogy. Love your top ten picks!

    ReplyDelete